Monday, March 11, 2013

Ask and you shall receive. Sometimes if you only asked in a blog post.

My plea for authentic cultural cuisine was met.

Literally the next day I was invited to Villa del Mar with two of my favorite people.
They were lauding chicken gorditas and mega-boozy margaritas at reasonable prices.  I was sold already.

Villa del Mar is a Mexican restaurant next to the Rent-N-Roll on High Point Rd in Greensboro, NC.  If you are not familiar with Rent-N-Roll, its a place for those who can't afford to buy unnecessary over-sized rims for their Toyota Camry so they RENT THEM.  YOU CAN RENT RIMS FOR YOUR CAR.  hah.
Anyway, I just wanted to offer a scene.
Outside there was a bench where a vagrant was giving us the evil eye and drooling at us at the same time.  I knew I was in for something good.

The place was packed; mostly Mexican families, a few African-american families, and us: three squirrelly looking tattooed freaks looking for some margaritas.

No one spoke English.  I was so excited.
There were bells at every table with a sticky note saying "Llame para servicio".  There was vaquero memorabilia, paper-mache parrots and silk flowers everywhere.  There was a sign above the register with a gun on it that said "We Don't Call 911".

When we were finally seated, I got to peruse the menu.

They had some staples of American Mexican restaurants: the monster burritos, the nachos with seasoned beef and shredded cheese.  Then you flip to the back of the menu.

You could chose your style of meal (gordita, sope, taco, etc.) then chose your meat.  It took me twenty minutes to chose my meats.  They offer carne asada with pineapple, slow-roasted goat, beef head, beef tongue, tripas (!!!!), chicken a thousand different ways and pork.  I know I am missing some options.  I nearly started crying when I say my options.  This is exactly what I wanted.  This is exactly what people should want when wanting an authentic Mexican food experience.  They let you pick and chose the things you want to try without committing to something that you may not entirely like.  If I had had the money, I would've tried it all.

After giving you your meal, they bring a tin bucket with three different hot sauces.  Three bottles that were red, yellow and green.  I assumed, since nothing was labelled, that green was mild, yellow would be sort of a medium and red would be a little too much.  Yellow, my choice, was a habanero sauce that made me cry.  Future reference: red is where its at.

And their prices were impossibly reasonable.
I had a margarita, 1 goat sope and 1 carne asada sope for 9 dollars total.  And I was stuffed.

Villa del Mar is a gem; a diamond in the smell rough of Greensboro.  It feels like a very well-kept secret.
I was met with something truly authentic in my little southern town and I was not disappointed.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Mexican food, doesn't mind lax service and is willing to try new things.
Also, to people who don't mind a vagrant begging for scraps inside the restaurant while you are still eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment